Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Brass. Amazing. Everyday.


image via Tracery Interiors


I am a mother, sister, aunt, friend and businesswomen. What I am not is a designer. Oh I do love to peruse home décor magazines. I am friends with more than a few designers on twitter, and I am always daydreaming about  my next project around the house.

A couple of years ago I tackled the master bathroom and powder room. The last time we renovated our home was in the 1980’s.  I loved that this time I could decorate anyway I wanted and did not have to balance someone else’s likes or dislikes.

So I decided to decorate like I dress and chose blacks, blues and brass for my choice of paint, wall paper and fixtures. The problem was that everyone else was using chrome, steel and more spa-like paint colors. But it never crossed my mind to use those. I knew what I liked and what I wanted. I placed a special order for the bathroom fixtures.

I loved the finished results and was so proud of my effort. Then, one day I was watching HGTV’s House Hunters. The young couple touring a home complained about the brass fixtures in the bathroom and stated that they would have to be changed. This surprised me. Did they not like the warmth of the brass? And then I wondered how I would ever sell my home if  prospective buyers don’t like brass?  My house was not for sale, nor was I thinking of selling it. But I had spent quite a bit of money on the rooms and the thought of not adding to the resale value was a bit upsetting to me. Had I made a mistake?

So, imagine my joy when brass began to show up on some of my favorite blogs. Brass is back! Could this be true? Could my choices just be ahead of the curve?

See for yourself. Blue, black and brass is showing up everywhere!



Just look at all the brass and gold in this kitchen by Bloomsbury Design Company




Brass fixtures, brass lighting and gold metallic on chair.




I wish I had this mirror and sink.


So am I now back in vogue!  I can sell my home if I choose and will not hear “Oh brass!” as though it is some sort of disease.

Your home is your haven and styling it should make you feel safe, warm and Amazing Everyday.


Inspiration and photos are from Bloomsbury Design Company and House Beautiful Magazine



1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post on many levels, I love brass and yes brass is back (although I never really thought it was 'out') and I love that you decorated the bathroom as you dress!
    Great post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete