Much has changed for women since the 50's 60's and 70's and I am proud of being apart of the generation of women who burned our bras and knocked our heads against the glass ceiling in the corporate world. Saddens me a little to know many young women today do not even know who Gloria Steinem is..but that is a story for another day.
What hasn't changed is women are still the keepers of their castles. Along with demanding careers and kids with multiple activities that require both chauffeurs and cheerleaders. If by chance an unexpected guest drops by your house and everything is not in order they would never blame the male of the house. Yes, it is us who they secretly judge. And if that's not bad enough...
Open any ladies magazine's March edition and you will be reminded it is time for spring cleaning. These magazines are filled with all sorts of wonderful ideas from what to use to clean, to how to clean, but they never seem to addresses how you are supposed to find the time to clean.
What I know for sure (borrowed from Oprah) is when my house is messy or, God Forbid, an appliance breaks down, my karma and positive energy go right out the door. I have been late for meetings because I could not find both shoes I wanted to wear. So, I am sure you will agree a clean home fosters inner peace and happiness.
Going back to my corporate days... If we had a task to accomplish, or goals to reach we gathered around a table to knock out the best solutions. So, join my virtual table and listen to a list of "tactics" to get our Project Clean House done.
Project Clean House Tactics
- Professional Cleaners If you budget allows it... Hire a professional cleaning company to routinely clean for you. No need to read the blog any further. Just make sure the company you hire is fully insured and bonded.
- Seasonal Cleans - Many companies offer seasonal cleans. They will come in 2 or 3 times a year and do a thorough deep clean. Average cost depending on where you live for a 2500 square foot home would be $200 -$300 depending on several factors. Most companies supply their own cleaning products. But be sure to ask in advance.
Having your home professionally cleaned is the ultimate in pampering yourself. There is nothing like opening your front door to the sweet smell of "clean." I would love all women, especially single mothers, to be able to experience this feeling but understand that this is not in everyone's budget. So I have another tactic which I think will be fun.
Progressive Cleaning Party
- Invite 2 girlfriends to the party! Three women can clean 3 houses from top to bottom in one day. Each clean will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Pool your funds and purchase the supplies to use at each home.
Fill 2 buckets with the products most used by professional cleaning companies to get the job done quickly.
- Microfiber Rags - They clean and shine all surfaces since they are lint free no streaks are left behind.
- 409 DeGreaser - I would not clean a kitchen or bathroom without it. Clean microwave, stove top, glass shower doors and kitchen cabinets.
- Stainless Steel Polish - Quickly removes finger prints and helps keep them away for use on all stainless steel appliances.
- Polish - There are quite a few products out there designed to work on all solid surfaces. So you can use on granite, wood and laminate surfaces and it keeps the expense down.
- Invisible Glass Cleaner - Say no more.. this stuff does not leave streaks on windows or mirrors.
- Floor Cleaner - Depending on everyone's flooring there are several products to choose from. A floor steam is ideal but if you do not have one at your disposal, I recommend Bono's Hardwood and Laminate Cleaners for floors.
- Bar Keepers Friend - It is a cleanser and removes all the rust and mysterious gunk that shows up in bathrooms.
BAM! That is all you need so let get to making it fun.
- Invite everyone to kick off the day a 1/2 hour before you plan to start and have coffee and bagels ready for everyone. Decide who will clean kitchens, bathrooms and who will dust, vacuum and do the floors. Time management is key so start cleaning at the agreed upon time.
- Everyone should bring their own lunch. Prior to arriving at the second house stop by a local park and enjoy a lunch and more girl time. Switch up who cleans which room to keep it interesting.
- Now after the second house is cleaned you will be feeling a
littlevery tired and we have to punch up everyone's energy level. So pull out your IPODs and dance around to this little ditty...
Christina Aguilera - Tough Lover
- Now your ready to attack the 3rd and final house.
You maybe thinking... I could clean my house myself in one day but I guarantee you will not have as much fun as doing it your best girlfriends, you will have no excuses and not get side track from cleaning because you won't let your friends down. That is just how we are! Women are awesome and work well in teams.
Just one thing left to do...Pop open the bubbly! Sit back and admire your beautifully cleaned homes and thank your girlfriends.
"A movement is only composed of people moving. To feel it's warmth and motion around us is the end as well as the means." Gloria Steinem